$34 - $49
Somewhere in small-town America… an adolescent dance troupe is poised to claw their way to the top.
AT. A. TIMEEEEEEE!
And if they do… they ‘will fly all the way to TAMPA BAY, FLORIDAAAAAAAAAAAAA’
Amidst the glittering swirl of sequins, perspiration, and high-stakes performances, six teenage girls and one boy (all portrayed by adults ranging from their 20s to 50s) remind us of what it is to be thirteen – a volatile blend of naiveté and wisdom, of humour and pain.
In this darkly comic, award-winning play, the lines between reality and fantasy meld in captivating ways. The characters extend a compelling invitation to revisit the realm of ‘thirteen-year-old-land,’ guiding us through their voyage of self-discovery as they unveil their vulnerabilities and aspirations.
Cutting through the fluff, embracing a pagan-like wildness, and harnessing unparalleled ferocity, Clare Barron’s DANCE NATION shatters the façade of cuteness, offering front-row seats to a power-struggle and pursuit of flawlessness.
Get ready to reconnect with the fierce and ambitious thirteen-year-old residing within you… Or, gain a deeper insight into the psyche of the teen in your life! The globally lauded, sold-out sensation, DANCE NATION, finally graces the stages of The Court Theatre and New Zealand for the first time.
This one is NOT to be missed!
“It’s a brave, visceral, excitingly off-kilter barbaric yawp of a play.” – New York Magazine
“I've seen the future and it is Dance Nation” - Washington Post
Dance Teacher Pat
Crumpled Sailor AKA Vanessa and 'Dance Moms'
Keagan Carr Fransch
Rehearsal Stage Manager
- 23 September 2023: Opening night
- 25 September 2023: Forum - a special performance where audiences get to ask cast and crew questions after the show
- 26 September 2023: $20 Tuesday, on sale 9:30am Friday 22 September 2023 (SOLD OUT)
- 14 October 2023: Matinee performance at 4pm
- 21 October 2023: Closing night
We recognise the escalating expenses of daily life, which have introduced financial constraints on our capacity to relish leisure pursuits. Theatre, a unifying medium that facilitates the exchange of pivotal instants, entertainment, and sensory gratification, holds a special place.
The Court Theatre is committed to guaranteeing that the magic of theatre, along with the splendid productions meticulously crafted by our production team, artists, and performers, remains accessible to a wider audience. In light of this aspiration, we have taken the decision to curtail the ticket prices for the duration of the 2023 Season.
Standard Adult $49 2 Adult Tickets (USE CODE DN25) $74 Senior (65+) $49 Friends of The Court Theatre $49 Group (6+) 10% Discount* Child (under 18) $34 Student ID cardholders $34 Community Services or Hāpai Access cardholders $34 *Applies to Standard Adult, Friends, Child and Senior price tickets
Dance Nation is included in your Super Subscription, or you can bundle it with at least two other shows to Build Your Own subscription.
If you want more some more laughs in your life, you could create a Shades of Comedy Subscription with:
- Sense and Sensibility
- The Appleton Ladies Potato Race (NZ professional premiere)
- Something Rotten!
Add on – Scared Scriptless, Scriptless Attempts and The Jesters’ Holiday Show
Covid – Your Booking is Safe with Us
To minimise the impact of possible Covid-related closures we employ understudies and swings for our cast and have contingencies to cover essential crew absences.
However, if a performance is affected by Covid and cannot go on, you will not lose out. We will attempt to rebook you to another performance in the show’s season or, if that is not possible, we can explore other options with you such as Court account credits or transferring your tickets to another show.
There are currently no Covid-related restrictions on attending The Court Theatre. However, as always, we encourage you to be mindful of good hygiene, for the sake of your own health, and that of other members of the audience, our cast, crew and staff.
If a show is cancelled:
- Performances most immediately impacted will be texted – to ensure that your details are up-to-date for this purpose, please log into your account (top right on our web pages) and review them now.
- Emails will be sent to all patrons affected outlining the dates of affected performance and the process that will follow to rebook. Typically this will be:
- rebooking your seats for the same night of the week within the following two weeks,
- endeavouring to book you into a similar spot in the auditorium, if possible.
- We telephone anyone we cannot contact via email.
- Your new booking will be emailed to you. If you require further changes, please email us.
We ask people not to phone our Box Office but rather to email us with special requests – this is easier for the team to handle when dealing with significant rebookings.
Audience Reviews (11)