$34 - $49
The Haka Party Incident resurrects the eventful day in Auckland in 1979 when a group of University of Auckland engineering students rehearsing their annual tradition of a mock haka were challenged by the activist group, He Taua. The incident, which lasted three minutes, sent ripples through the nation and changed race relations forever.
To create this production, award-winning filmmaker and theatre director Katie Wolfe (Ngāti Tama, Ngāti Mutunga, Ngāti Toa Rangatira) recorded the recollections of many of the key figures involved in the incident, who are vividly represented on stage by a terrifically talented cast.
The result is a riveting theatre-documentary where live drama and kapa haka combine to powerful effect.
The Haka Party Incident had a sell-out two-week season at the Auckland Arts Festival, where it gathered a haul of excellent reviews.
“An innovative, brilliant piece of theatre all New Zealanders need to see.”
– NZ Herald
- 27 October 2023: Opening night
- 28 October 2023: Matinee performance at 2pm, Audio Described Performance, please contact Box Office (03 963 0870) directly to book the Audio Described elements of this performance.
- 31 October 2023: $20 Tuesday, on sale 9:30am Friday 27 October 2023
- 11 November 2023: Closing night
We recognise the escalating expenses of daily life, which have introduced financial constraints on our capacity to relish leisure pursuits. Theatre, a unifying medium that facilitates the exchange of pivotal instants, entertainment, and sensory gratification, holds a special place.
The Court Theatre is committed to guaranteeing that the magic of theatre, along with the splendid productions meticulously crafted by our production team, artists, and performers, remains accessible to a wider audience. In light of this aspiration, we have taken the decision to curtail the ticket prices for the duration of the 2023 Season.
Standard Adult $49 Senior (65+) $49 Friends of The Court Theatre $49 Group (6+) 10% Discount* Child (under 18) $34 Student ID cardholders $34 Community Services or Hāpai Access cardholders $34 *Applies to Standard Adult, Friends, Child and Senior price tickets
Writer & Director
Kaiako Kapa Haka/Kaitito Haka
Set and Props Design
Assistant Stage Manager and Sound Assistant
Lighting and AV Operator
Live Sound Operator
The Haka Party Incident is included in your Super Subscription, or you can bundle it with at least two other shows to Build Your Own subscription.
If you want more Aotearoa plays, you could create an Aotearoa Play Subscription with:
- Sense and Sensibility
- Be Like Billy
Add on – Cinderella and Te Kuia me te Pungawerewere (Kids)
If you want more Drama in your life, you could create a Drama Lover’s Subscription with:
- Be Like Billy
- Next to Normal
Add on - Sweet Science of Bruising (Performed by our Youth Company)
Covid – Your Booking is Safe with Us
To minimise the impact of possible Covid-related closures we employ understudies and swings for our cast and have contingencies to cover essential crew absences.
However, if a performance is affected by Covid and cannot go on, you will not lose out. We will attempt to rebook you to another performance in the show’s season or, if that is not possible, we can explore other options with you such as Court account credits or transferring your tickets to another show.
There are currently no Covid-related restrictions on attending The Court Theatre. However, as always, we encourage you to be mindful of good hygiene, for the sake of your own health, and that of other members of the audience, our cast, crew and staff.
If a show is cancelled:
- Performances most immediately impacted will be texted – to ensure that your details are up-to-date for this purpose, please log into your account (top right on our web pages) and review them now.
- Emails will be sent to all patrons affected outlining the dates of affected performance and the process that will follow to rebook. Typically this will be:
- rebooking your seats for the same night of the week within the following two weeks,
- endeavouring to book you into a similar spot in the auditorium, if possible.
- We telephone anyone we cannot contact via email.
- Your new booking will be emailed to you. If you require further changes, please email us.
We ask people not to phone our Box Office but rather to email us with special requests – this is easier for the team to handle when dealing with significant rebookings.