In 2009, Rutene completed a Bachelor of Performing Arts in musical theatre from National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art (NASDA).
Rutene had his professional theatre debut as an intern at The Court Theatre in 2009. Since then, the singer, actor, and entertainer has toured nationally and internationally performing for various theatre and corporate entertainment companies.
He has appeared in shows such as Anything Goes (2009), The Buddy Holly Musical, Grease (2012), Avenue Q (2013), La Cage aux Folles (2013), The Mikado (2014) Oklahoma (2014) and Billy Elliot(2016)… to name a few.
His soulful, dulcet tones have been described as being “smooth like caramel”. Rutene is also a part of the Modern Māori Quartet whānau but one day would like to be the next Jim Hickey and read the weather for the national news.
Outside of his busy performance schedule, Rutene also works as a director, producer, and vocal and performance coach. Rutene is a proud member and vocal coach of Te Kapa Haka of Whāngara-Mai-Tawhiti.
- 2018 - - Director / Co-creator
- 2017 - Chicago - Amos Hart
- 2017 - Matatihi: Maia’s journey of bravery - Co-creator
- 2016 - Matariki: Little Eyes in the Sky - Co-creator
- 2015 - Māui Me Te Rā - Co-Creator / Director
- 2014 - A Midsummer Nights Dream - Snug
- 2013 - The Mikado - Pish Tush
- 2013 - Postal - Celine
- 2013 - Maui and the Sun - Director / co-creator
- 2013 - Beauty and the Beast - Beast
- 2012 - Grease - Roger
- 2009 - Anything Goes - Ensemble/Tap Dancer
- 2009 - The Ugly Duckling - Mother Duck