Michael, a graduate from the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art (NASDA), with a Bachelor of Performing Arts (Musical Theatre), has spent the past 24 years as an actor, director, musical director, musician, tutor and singer in New Zealand and Australia.
Michael’s career ranges from the full ‘bells and whistles’ of Cameron MacIntosh’s Australasian tour of Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera to small two hander plays such as Old Wicked Songs and Souvenir – a Fantasia on the Life of Florence Foster Jenkins, both New Zealand premieres.
As an actor, Michael has appeared in Jekyll & Hyde (South Korean Tour); The Phantom of the Opera (Really Useful Group); Mary Poppins; Pacific Post; Side by Side by Sondheim; Cabaret in both 1999 & 2010; The Female of the Species; Guys and Dolls; Flagons and Foxtrots; Oliver!; Mum’s Choir; The Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific; Kiss Me Kate; My Fair Lady (The Court Theatre); Souvenir; The Wind in the Willows; The Taming of the Shrew; The Jungle Book; Old Wicked Songs; Nunsense Jamboree; Dirty Weekends (Fortune Theatre); and Sweeney Todd (Peach Productions).
As a Musical Director, he has musically directed Cabaret; Kiss Me Kate; Bombshells; Flagons and Foxtrots; Mum’s Choir; Badjelly the Witch (The Court Theatre); Sweet Charity; Guys and Dolls; Once on this Island; My Favorite Year; Marat Sade; The Trial; The No-Frills Revue; Bat Boy: The Musical; The World Goes ‘Round, Baby; City of Angels (NASDA); Nunsense Jamboree; Old Wicked Songs; Souvenir; A Slice of Saturday Night; Dirty Weekends; The Wind in the Willows; Avenue Q (Fortune Theatre); The Fantasticks (Cairns) and been involved as a rehearsal pianist for many more.
As a director, Michael has directed/ co-directed A Slice of Saturday Night (Fortune Theatre); Guys and Dolls (NASDA); Avenue Q; Mary Poppins; Tell Me on a Sunday; Wicked (Cairns); Tell Me on a Sunday (Port Douglas) and was assistant director for the Australasian premiere of The Light in the Piazza featuring the cast of The Phantom of the Opera. Michael now resides in the tropics of Cairns, Far North Queensland with husband, David, and Tia, the chocolate Labrador.
- 2019 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Director
- 2015 - Mary Poppins - Mr Banks
- 2012 - Pacific Post - Barney
- 2012 - Side by Side by Sondheim - Performer
- 2011 - Cabaret - Max/Officer
- 2010 - The Female of the Species - Bryan Thornton
- 2007 - Bombshells - Musical Director
- 2006 - Guys and Dolls - Nicely Nicely Johnson
- 2006 - Flagons and Foxtrots - Musical Director/Archie Moore
- 2005 - Oliver! - Dr Grimwig
- 2005 - Mum's Choir - Musical Director/Kevin
- 2004 - The Rocky Horror Show - Phantom/Musician
- 2002 - South Pacific - Commander Harbison
- 2001 - My Fair Lady - Jamie
- 2000 - Kiss Me, Kate - Musical Director/Ralph
- 1999 - Cabaret - Musical Director/Max
- 1999 - Badjelly the Witch - Musical Director
- 1998 - Dirty Weekends - Assistant Musical Director/Rehearsal Pianist
- 1997 - Putting it Together - Rehearsal Pianist