$20 - $25
O le ala ile pule, o le tautua – The pathway to leadership is to serve
Becoming the Chief of the aiga (family) is a great honour with even greater responsibility – one that Lui is struggling to take on as he questions the relevance of Samoan culture in New Zealand.
Becoming a Matai is not an honour Lui wants. He was raised in New Zealand but must learn the value of his Samoan roots. Matai explores one young man’s journey to find a balance between traditional and modern life.
Running for one-night only, Matai returns after its sold-out run in our 2017 Forge season!
OPEN HOUSE FESTIVAL
Matai is part of the Open House Festival, a very special series of events featuring a generous heaping of comedy, a splash of music and a sprinkle of drama.
- Mikaele Manuia - Matai’a Salatielu (Sala) Tiatia
- Malia Manuia - Gaseilevao Faletolu-Toavia
- Lui Manuia - Kiliga Asovale Luma
- Masina Manuia - Faith Saimoa Taula
- Jonah Manuia - Moresby Peseta
- Co-Writer/Producer/Director - Sela Faletolu-Fasi
- Co-Writer/Choreographer - Silivelio Fasi
- Music Director - Vai Punivai
- Co-Producer/Stage Manager - Tonia Fasi
- Stage Manager - Mandy Perry
"At the feeling heart of this heartfelt piece is a deeply held pride in Samoan culture and it is the indomitable strength of this cultural conviction which both shapes and colours the world we enter."