Stephen is a freelance director, spending much of the year touring New Zealand directing, staging and designing musical theatre productions, corporate events and cabaret.
He has amassed an impressive resume of directing credits throughout the years. These include Chess; A Chorus Line; Phantom of the Opera; West Side Story; Avenue Q and Evita. In 1993, Stephen directed the New Zealand première of Les Misérables (Wellington) followed by the national premières of 42nd Street (Wellington); Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (Wellington); Cats (Christchurch); Miss Saigon (Christchurch) and, more recently, Wicked (Christchurch). Earlier this year he directed Les Misérables for Showbiz Christchurch.
For the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art, Stephen has directed Cats; Beauty and the Beast; Hair; Spring Awakening; Cabaret and Little Women.
Credits for The Court Theatre include Grease (codirector/ choreographer); Blood Brothers (director and designer); The Mikado (choreographer); Mary Poppins (co-director and choreographer); Legally Blonde the Musical (director) and last year’s production of Chicago (director and choreographer). Costume design credits for The Court Theatre include The Mikado; One Man, Two Guvnors; Grease; Mary Poppins; Legally Blonde the Musical; The Lady Killers; End of the Rainbow; Ropable and Chicago.
He also holds a Diploma in Piano Associate from Trinity College London.
- 2018 - Jesus Christ Superstar - Director/Costume Designer/Choreographer
- 2017 - Chicago - Director/Costume Designer/Choreographer
- 2017 - Ropable - Costume Designer
- 2016 - Legally Blonde the Musical - Director / Choreographer / Costume Designer
- 2015 - Mary Poppins - Co-director / Choreographer / Costume Designer
- 2015 - The Ladykillers - Costume Designer