Stephen is a freelance director, spending much of the year touring New Zealand directing, staging and designing musical theatre productions, corporate events and cabaret.
He has amassed an impressive resume of directing credits throughout the years as director/choreographer and costume designer. These include Chess; A Chorus Line; Phantom of the Opera; West Side Story; Avenue Q and Evita. In 1993, Stephen directed the New Zealand premiere of Les Misérables (Wellington) followed by the national premieres of 42nd Street (Wellington); Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (Wellington); Cats (Christchurch); Miss Saigon (Christchurch) and more recently Wicked (Christchurch). In 2018, he directed Les Misérables (Showbiz Christchurch).
For the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art, Stephen has directed Cats; Beauty and the Beast; Hair; Spring Awakening; Cabaret and Little Women.
His previous credits for The Court Theatre include Grease (co-director/choreographer); Blood Brothers (director and designer); The Mikado (choreographer); Mary Poppins (co-director and choreographer); Legally Blonde the Musical (director); Chicago (director and choreographer) and more recently Jesus Christ Superstar (director). His costume design credits for The Court Theatre include The Mikado; One Man, Two Guvnors; Grease; Mary Poppins; Legally Blonde the Musical; The Lady Killers; End of the Rainbow; Ropable; Chicago; Jesus Christ Superstar and The Wind in the Willows.
For Showbiz Christchurch, his previous productions include Me and My Girl; Anything Goes; A Chorus Line; Mamma Mia!; Fiddler on the Roof; Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat; The Phantom of the Opera, Evita, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; Wicked and Les Misérables (2018 season).
His latest production was the New Zealand tour of The Shows Must Go On.
- 2019 - The Wind in the Willows - Assistant to the Director/Costume Designer
- 2019 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Costume Designer
- 2018 - Jesus Christ Superstar - Director/Costume Designer/Choreographer
- 2017 - Chicago - Director/Costume Designer/Choreographer
- 2017 - Ropable - Costume Designer
- 2016 - Legally Blonde the Musical - Director / Choreographer / Costume Designer
- 2015 - Mary Poppins - Co-Director / Choreographer / Costume Designer
- 2015 - The Ladykillers - Costume Designer
- 2014 - One Man, Two Guvnors - Costume Designer
- 2014 - End of the Rainbow - Costume Designer
- 2013 - The Mikado - Choreographer/Costume Designer
- 2012 - Grease - Co-Director/Choreographer/Costume Designer