Richard is well-known for his work throughout the country as a musical director, vocal coach, pianist, arranger and conductor. Previously, he worked as manager of the degree programmes offered by the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art (NASDA) and Ara Music Arts.
His musical direction credits for The Court Theatre include My Fair Lady; South Pacific; The Rocky Horror Show; The Sound of Music; Jerry’s Girls; Oliver!; Guys and Dolls; The Producers; La Cage Aux Folles; I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change!; Anything Goes; Cabaret; Side By Side By Sondheim; Grease; End of the Rainbow; Blood Brothers; Mary Poppins; Legally Blonde the Musical; Songs For Nobodies; Chicago; Jesus Christ Superstar; Jersey Boys; Little Shop of Horrors; Rent and Next to Normal.
Further musical direction credits include Mame; The King and I; Sweet Charity; Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; West End to Broadway I, II and III; Les Misérables; 42nd Street; Fiddler on the Roof; Annie; Into The Woods; Jesus Christ Superstar; Urinetown; Beauty and the Beast; The Witches of Eastwick; Cats; Curtains; Buddy; Avenue Q; Hair; Spring Awakening; The Phantom of the Opera; Miss Saigon; Mamma Mia!; Hairspray; Ragtime; Evita; Wicked; We Will Rock You; Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Matilda.
Richard’s work with the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra has included seasons of Starry Nights and Classical Sparks in Hagley Park and the popular concert productions Oh, Danny Boy; Broadway Broads; Rodgers and Hammerstein; Bernstein and Sondheim; The Magical Music of Disney and The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. He was also responsible for the musical supervision, keyboard programming, tracks and arrangements for several New Zealand touring productions and is often found working as producer and arranger on multiple recording projects. Richard was Artistic Director of the popular choir, The Vocal Collective for the past four years.
Fresh from this year’s highlight season conducting My Fair Lady with The Christchurch Symphony Orchestra and Showbiz Christchurch, he will follow the hilarious Something Rotten with the equally fabulous, Kinky Boots.
- 2023 - Something Rotten! - Musical Director pre-Production & Show Musical Director
- 2023 - Next to Normal - Musical Director
- 2022 - RENT - Musical Director / Keys
- 2021 - Little Shop of Horrors - Musical Director / Keys
- 2020 - Jersey Boys - Musical Director/Keyboard 1
- 2019 - The Wind in the Willows - Music Director/Sound Designer
- 2019 - The Arsonists - Musical Director
- 2018 - Jesus Christ Superstar - Musical Director/Keys 1
- 2017 - Chicago - Musical Director/Keyboard 1
- 2017 - Songs for Nobodies - Musical Director / Piano
- 2016 - Legally Blonde the Musical - Musical Director
- 2015 - Mary Poppins - Musical Director, Conductor and Keyboard