Lara works primarily as an actor, director, dramaturg and performance coach in New Zealand.
She studied acting in New York City with Uta Hagen and Anthony Abeson and subsequently worked for ten years as an actor in the U.S.
She holds a Post-Graduate Diploma in Directing from The National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney and has directed over 40 productions throughout America, Australia and New Zealand.
In 2009, Lara was appointed Associate Artistic Director at The Court Theatre in Christchurch, and in 2010 went on to become Artistic Director in 2010 at Fortune Theatre in Dunedin. Her directing highlights include Red; In the Next Room (or the vibrator play); Play; Tribes; Souvenir; The Caretaker; Punk Rock; Time Stands Still and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
The last three years have seen her return to the freelancing world, working alongside various companies including Auckland Theatre Company, Centrepoint Theatre, South Pacific Pictures, The Actors’ Program, and University of Otago Theatre Studies.
She last appeared at The Court Theatre as Annie Wilkes in Misery.
- 2019 - Elling - Director
- 2018 - Stephen King's Misery - Annie Wilkes
- 2017 - Venus in Fur - Director
- 2017 - Steel Magnolias - M'Lynn
- 2017 - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Director
- 2017 - Ropable - Aunty Prudence
- 2016 - Macbeth - Lady Macbeth
- 2016 - Winston's Birthday - Director
- 2014 - White Rabbit, Red Rabbit - Actor
- 2014 - When the Rain Stops Falling - Elizabeth Law (younger)
- 2012 - Heroes - Assistant Director
- 2011 - Five Women Wearing the Same Dress - Director
- 2010 - Saving Grace - Director
- 2010 - On the Rocks - Director
- 2010 - The Perfumed Garden - Director
- 2010 - Don't Mention Casablanca - Thilde Foerster
- 2010 - God of Carnage - Véronique Vallon
- 2009 - The Tutor - Director
- 2009 - My Name is Rachel Corrie - Director
- 2009 - Four Flat Whites in Italy - Italian Woman
- 2009 - Poe - Director
- 2008 - The Birthday Boy - AV Co-ordinator
Get to know Lara Macgregor