Hamish has enjoyed a two-decade-long career as a composer, sound designer, musical director, arranger and performer for television, film, video games and theatre and has a Master’s degree in composition. He also lectures in composition, sonic arts and music production at Canterbury University.
He is currently working on his second commission from the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra. He has been composing music and creating sound designs for plays at The Court Theatre since 1997.
As a performer Hamish has toured Japan, China, Australia and New Zealand with Elaine Paige, Aled Jones and Hayley Westenra and has performed in New Zealand with Serj Tankian, Shapeshifter, Bic Runga, Julia Deans, Anika Moa, The Adults, Michael Barrymore, Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra among others. He is a member of the CSO, playing piano and celeste. He features on the DVDs Elaine Paige Live - Celebrating 40 Years on Stage, Hayley Westenra Live in Concert and on Serj Tankian’s Elect the Dead Symphony live concert DVD.
Awards include the APRA Professional Development Award, given to further Hamish’s research into video game composition.
- 2019 - The Father - Sound Designer/Composer
- 2019 - The Princess and the Frog (and the Robber!) - Sound Designer/Composer
- 2019 - Time Machine - Sound Designer/Composer
- 2018 - Jesus Christ Superstar - 2nd Keys Sub
- 2018 - A Paintbox of Clowns - Composer/Sound Designer
- 2018 - Titus Andronicus - Sound Designer
- 2017 - Hamlet: The Video Game (the stage show) - Musician / Composer / Sound Designer
- 2017 - Jack and the Beanstalk - Composer / Sound Designer
- 2016 - Legally Blonde the Musical - Swing
- 2016 - Matthew, Mark, Luke and Joanne - Music Editing
- 2016 - Badjelly The Witch - Musical Director / Sound Designer
- 2015 - Exit The King - Sound Designer
- 2015 - Hamlet: The Video Game (the stage show) - Musician / Composer / Sound Designer