One year in the life of a family. The Prices are just like me and you. They’re not from the top end of town, but they’re not battlers either. Fran and Bob have loved each other for thirty years. They’ve built a home, raised four strong children and kept their sense of humour. It should be time to sit back and smell the roses. But just when things should be slowing down, the complicated lives of their kids are about to come crashing through the back fence. Things I Know to Be True is a profound and deeply familiar study of the mechanics of family, and the things which sustain, protect and inhibit us.
Auditions: 3 - 6 April in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
Rehearsals: from 9 April in Christchurch
Remuneration: Weekly wage to be negotiated
Circa Theatre Season, Wellington
Production week: from Monday 26 April
Opens: Friday 30 April
Closes: Saturday 29 May
Performances: Tuesday to Sunday
Things I Know to be True is a co-production between The Court Theatre and Circa Theatre.
Transfeminine, aged 32. Mia is introduced and seen for the majority of the play as Mark and begins the process of transitioning to female toward the end of the play. They are the second child born and an I.T. Specialist. In most people’s eyes, Mia is the no-drama child, leading a stable, relatively uncomplicated life. But when they share their true identity with their family, the family’s support and understanding are put to the test.
The play features a coming out scene with dialogue which may be triggering for some people. The Court Theatre and Circa Theatre will put in place safety mechanisms for the chosen performer, including access to a confidential counselling service. Additional support will be available in the rehearsal room for the performer.
- We are accepting submissions from trans and non-binary performers with a playing age of 25-40 years for this role, of any ethnicity.
- Performer must be comfortable performing as both masculine and feminine on stage. For 95% of the play, the role is performed as masculine.
- This is a full-time, professional, paid opportunity rehearsing in Christchurch followed by a season in Wellington.
- Auditions will be held between 3-6 April in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
- The incoming performer will be integrated into an existing production with the full commitment, engagement and aroha of the existing cast and outgoing performer.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
For any questions and to express your interest in this role, please contact Erica Browne via email, detailing any performing experience by Monday 29 March email@example.com
There are no posts